Sunday 16 June 2013

Cauliflower Pizza Crust

Tonight, I put on my chef's hat and made this recipe for Cauliflower Crust Pizza.

It's quite a labour-intensive process, so I won't be doing this again for a looonnnggg while. In all, it must've taken an hour to get the pizza in the oven.


It's a pretty righteous pizza though. We got eggplant, mushroom, red onion and semi-dried tomato action on this bad boy.

As you can tell, we over-did the cheese.

Anyway, you can read the link for the recipe and step-by-step process.


I didn't measure a thing because I'm a rebel like that. I used a medium-sized cauliflower, florets only, riced it up in a food processor, and put it in a pan over very low heat to cook.

Then, I put the cooked cauliflower in a tea towel to cool.

I was so surprised to see how much juice I squeezed out of it.


I added the almond meal, herbs, and an egg. I shaped it into a roundish pizza shape and put it in the oven to bake. About 20-some minutes later, I got this:


We topped it with jarred tomato sauce, cooked eggplant slices, cooked mushrooms, semi-dried marinated tomatoes, and thinly sliced red onion.


You can't really expect it to have the texture of a pizza crust, so it wasn't bready or chewy. But it had a bit of crisp, crunch to it. It held up the toppings well, but we eventually used a knife and fork just because it got soggier and soggier the longer it was out of the oven.

This is a SUPER filling dinner, as the crust is packed with almonds and cauliflower.

I'm probably not going to attempt another cauliflower crust just because it was so labour-intensive, and not nearly delicious enough to justify it. Plus, it's kind of odd eating a pizza without the chewy, crispy, bready crust.

Have you ever made a cauliflower crust pizza?

No comments:

Post a Comment